We begin this weeks adventure a little farther than where we left off. This is the house after a couple hours scrubbing up the old glue. It finally feels like it is all up, practically a blank slate.
First thing I did after taking this image was to paint the bare spots with white acrylic paint. I had help with this from an adventurous young man, of seven years, who learned to pull the paintbrush rather than try pushing it. Together we painted the floor and walls of the attic, then he helped me by sanding rough spots on the underside of the dormer while I was sanding another section of the house. We also confirmed that sandpaper is rough like a brick. :)
I decided that since some of the paper in the bedroom had gotten wet and a little torn, that I should put up a high wainscoting. I chose a dark teal coloration that I blended myself. This was applied to corrugated paper, which stands in pretty well for bead board.
After a first coat of paint I wanted to make sure I liked it against the wallpaper. I really do. Also evident in this image (barely), is the area where I widened the opening for the stairs. I ordered a new set as I didn't recall seeing any in the box, though J remembers putting them at least partially together.
First, let me start by saying it was dark outside by this point...
I picked up what I thought was a dark brown paint, to base-coat under the areas where I might be laying down individual floorboards, so gaps in the wood would be less appartent. Having watched other bloggers do so, I decided I should too...
That doesn't look very brown to me, let me try the flash...
!!! Yep, I have deep purple underlayment. And I splotched it onto the wall. Attempts to wipe that up failed utterly and spread the paint more. Good thing I had already planned on covering the walls 2/3 of the way up.
Below, the wainscoting is installed and the windows very roughly cut out to get a feel for it. I do plan on painting over the purple in a dark brown.
Below is my second or third dry fit of the stairs. I have not yet decided on stain and/or paint for the staircase. I do think I want a runner down the center of the stairs, but need to pick living room colors and find something I like that complements both the living room and bedroom.
And the view from downstairs. Looking at this, I just realized I did not paint that wall the stairs are against. It will get a base coat of white when I next pull the house out and work on it.
Do not be alarmed! The gold is intentional, and really has a purpose, I promise.
It is going to be an arched alcove area for the tub. It might even end up with a Moroccan shape to the arch. I have seen these in architectural drawings from the 1920's and 1930's. Granted, They aren't usually gilded, but I wanted something that would really throw around the light and be eye catching.
The lady of the house deserves a touch of glamour after spending all day cleaning and cooking. I am still not sure if my idea is genius or insane. Stay tuned to find out!
I also have picked up the french doors for downstairs. Since I am wrapping the porch around this side, I figured it might be nice to have them here at the back of the living room.
I have to show off the very thoughtful and lovely gift that J gave me. (Platonic Life-mates totally rule!) This sewing machine will likely end up in the attic space, after I rejigger the roof-line and decide on the deco up there.
So, there you have it for now. I spent part of last weekend working on a bed. I found an adorable idea on Pinterest that involved taking clothes pins apart and using them for the bedposts. Unfortunately I did not snap a shot of it before putting everything away for the evening.
Stay tuned for more adventures!














I have to say that I am looking through your windows. I have seen a pervectly framed Coca-Cola sign and a school bus. 😊
ReplyDeleteI love what you are doing so far. The high wainscoting is genius and I want your Moroccan bathroom. What a great job you are doing.